Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Die Leiden des joungen Werther was So Popular that it Changed the Very Fashion of the Time and was Banned for Causing So Many Copycat Suicides

I have arrived at campus! Huzzah! It’s really odd to walk about, seeing familiar faces, and think to yourself about how it feels like just yesterday you were here… I still think it odd that it was months ago that I relinquished my mailroom key and hopped into Chevelle to start my summer in earnest, but I’m back again, and I couldn’t be happier. Saturday went fairly well, and, despite some refreshing rain, I moved in without incident. I’m still getting used to the new set up, though; Welch and Thomson are set up quite differently from one another!! The only difficultly that I am having, however, is the same as last year; my computer is having trouble hooking up to the OWU network. Thusly, I write this entry offline and plan to post it as soon as I have the interweb with which to do so!
Today (Sunday) has been a joy, wandering about and seeing how many of my friends I can locate and marvel at their summers and changes. I had ample time to tour about the academic side of campus locating the rooms I’ll be traveling to this week as best as is possible with half of the doors locked, and even got to hear a few minutes of wonderful organ music in Grey Chapel! I also made a trip to the bookstore, which was shockingly barren. I only purchased one book, but since the funds that one can use in the bookstore had yet to transfer to my card, I could not take advantage of the lack of lines and buy all of them. My one purchase, however, caused me to shamelessly titter with delight as I nigh ran to the register; my only German book for the semester was precisely the one I had been hoping to read: Die Leiden des joungen Werther!! (The Sorrows of Young Werther) I will admit to a slight twinge of disappointment upon seeing that it is a dual-language for of the novel, presenting the German on the left and the English on the right, but despite this convenience and time-saver, I would almost prefer a pure German version, if only for the challenge. But, if the introduction is any indicator, this version is quite full, including even the introduction and a special poem that Goethe later added. I may start reading it tonight since I have no other pressing work, and it does look interesting.

German Word: As far as German verbs that any student should be familiar with, lesen is very important, and almost depressingly so for the college student. Lesen means ‘to read,’ which takes up more than a few hours of a day, particularly when one has been gifted with a generous professor.

Pictures! Yay new Welch room madness! The plant is Natalie, my rosemary bush that I’ve turned into a bonsai tree! And, yes, my action figures definitely need to have some more picture accompaniment, and I’m working on it. And no one seems to ever make their bed very often at all, if ever. And I don’t think anyone really cares… hrm….




No comments: