Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Chance of Senior Citizens Falling Can be Reduced by 47.5% with just Fifteen Weeks of Training

A few weeks in, now, and my first exam looms like an adorably pouting storm cloud just above the horizon. It’s in botany, so that shall be exciting. The Friday after that I have several ‘plant spottings’ due for botany as well, but I must admit to hanging my head in dorkiness when Professor Wolverton said that most American’s don’t really take in the plants around them. I go in the other extreme, delighting in seeing how many oak trees I can spot, how many ginkgos I can get to grow in my room, and examining whatever tree or other plant I find interesting along the sidewalk or in the park during sword club. (I do not, however, suggest pausing to see how many seeds are left in a dropped pine cone during a roundel fight unless one is quite experienced in it; it often causes confusion.) Botany, however, though we may seem a perfect match, is not my favourite class this semester. And no, not even the class pertaining to my major gets that honour; tai chi has taken the proverbial cake and run with it like there’s no tomorrow. It’s an amazing class. Absolutely amazing. It’s not for everyone, since one has to have a certain type of patience for it, but it’s so insanely rewarding, and it’s great to have a class based on personal growth, not test grades or other performance things. Just show up, give it your best for an hour, and come out feeling great. I practice the form we’re learning nearly every day, and I still haven’t tired of it, though I wish I knew more.
The first Stammtisch of the year was last Thursday, and it was quite enjoyable. Dr. Kremling rejoined us after his sabbatical, and a few new faces also showed up. The new Smith hall provided the setting, and things were a bit busy, but this did not hinder our conversations, and things even got lively when I reported on the controversial Bodies show that is currently in Easton. Dr. Kremling and I had had a fabulous catching-up chat over some coffee the Sunday before, and the topic of this show came up, and we considered the possibility of seeing this exhibit before it leaves the area as a German fieldtrip, seeing as how the creator of it is German. Very interesting, and I definitely want to see it, but first we need to test the waters on who would be interested in going in the first place!


German Word: Schlafen. A very important verb to any college student! It means ‘to sleep!’

Pictures! One day before tai chi I had a half an hour or so, so I wandered about campus feeling very calm and artsy, as I had just finished going through the form. (Sort of like studying just before class, I guess.)

Slocum; this is a companion piece to the winter shot I got last year. I like the lighting, though the camera barely does it any justice.


Just a shot of a walkway in front of the academic area. I saw some people studying and felt it very ‘college.’


A less traditional picture of University hall… most people like to focus on the wonderfully dramatic tower, but it’s pretty from many angles. One can spot the German room and Herr Kremling’s office from there!


I love the trees in this one.


I adore this tree. Adore it. It has to be one of my favourites on campus, but I probably have fifty of those.


The sulfur spring!! I honestly don’t think the university talks this random little piece of scenery up enough, so I try to tell everyone I meet. Very important. Elliot hall, one of our academic buildings, was originally an inn people stayed at during their visits to what they believed to be the miraculous healing water that just happened to smell like eggs. Elliot used to be where University Hall now sits, but was waddled over and to the side, where it now resides amongst some trees and lilac bushes.


I offer no explanation beyond the fact that I love this thing.

No comments: